Monday, September 30, 2013

38th FAAPI Conference - Buenos Aires

Roots & Routes in Language Education

How do language, cultures and identities interact in 21st-century classrooms?

FAAPI (Federación Argentina de Profesores de Inglés) organized its 38th conference in Buenos Aires from Sept 26 to Sept 28 at UCA (Universidad Católica Argentina). 

Opening ceremony

It was my 2nd FAAPI, as my 1st one was in 2010 when it was held in Cordoba. This FAAPI was much more modern and was seen by people from all over the world due to the online broadcast not only by APIBA members but also by all the delegates who posted all throughout the sessions.

I saw old friends, I met new people and of course, I bought books.

Mady Casco & Laura Szmuch

Myriam Met











The sessions were awesome; I attended 7 workshops, 1 academy presentation and 3 plenary sessions. 

I cannot say "I like this session much more than that one" cause it would be a lie. What I can say is "I learnt a lot from all the speakers and I took tons of ideas from them". 

It was a very good idea from the organization to provide a "Walking tour" around "Puerto Madero" neighbourhood - the newest and most expensive area in Buenos Aires. 


Walking tour around Puerto Madero area

What main ideas can I mention...? Good question!!! 

  • Self-esteem has 5 componets: Security, Purpose, Identity, Belonging and Competence; The brain loves movement (Grace Bertolinis session)
  • "Oppa"=daddy  "Gangnam"=trendy district in South Seoul  The "Oppa Gangnam Style" Song implies 2 cultural modes: a formative and an informative mode. Culture is a "know-what", a "know-of" and a "know-how" (Pablo Toledo's session) 
  • "Lean about technology on your own"; we need methodology to teach about technology (Michael Harris' academic presentation)

Michael Harris's Academy Presentation
  • Adults need patience; they need to control and lead their own learning. Learning a L2 is learning a 2nd identity. (Mady Casco's session)
  • "Stop blaming others and take responsibility for your own actions"; "Seek to elevate" (Laura Szmuch and Jamie Duncan's session)
Jamie and Laura's session
  • It's difficult to say "Who I am" cause we should say "I belong" (Gladys Baya's session)
  • Tons of free websites (Jennifer Verschoor, Rita Zeinstejer, Gladys Baya and Maria Marta Suarez' sessions)
Jennifer Verschoor and Rita Zeinstejer's session
  • "The contact zone"; we should reflect upon intercultural stuff (Claudia Ferradas' session)
  • "SAM": Smile, Acknowledge, Make eye contact (Myriam Met's session) 
These are brief ideas of these incredible days. 

Thanks a lot APIBA and FAAPI!! Hope to see you next year! 


As usual, I also have fun with "extra" speakers!! :)
Enjoy some extra pics and "tango" here! :)

FAAPI 2013 - Buenos Aires

No comments:

Post a Comment